Black Beans offer many beneficial nutrients. They are a great source of cholesterol-lowering Fiber, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, and Protein. They are also a good source of Zinc and Folate, which are two very common deficiencies found in Celiac Disease (see my blog post Benificial Breakfast Banana for more information on this subject.) Here is a breakdown of the nutritional value of Black Beans and the rest of the ingredients found in this recipe. Whether you are dieting, intolerant, or Gluten-free by necessity, there is no need to cut out all tasty foods from your diet. You can still enjoy them in moderation!
Fiber and Protein are extremely important in our diet. They help regulate the passage of food through our digestive tract and steady the flow of digestion. This can help regulate blood sugar and overall digestive tract health. So let’s breakdown the other ingredients:
Black Beans (Serving size 1/5 cup for 2 Tostadas:):
Ground Beef 80/20% (Serving size 2oz for 2 Tostadas:):
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Serving size 1/8cup for 2 Tostadas:)
Sliced Hass Avocado (Serving size 1/2 Avocado for 2 Tostadas:)
Fat Free Sour Cream (Serving size 2 tbsp.)
Tostada Shells (Serving size 2)
(Among other Vitamin and Nutrients listed above.)
So, not only does this dish look, and taste delicious, but it is only about 540 calories for 2 stacked Tostadas! I can only eat 1, so 220 calories fills me up. Moral of the story? Gluten Free Mexican can be HEALTHY, DELICIOUS, and REWARDING! If you’re dieting, there is no need to cut out all of the tasty ingredients out of your diet. Keep the delicious foods in your life, just know what you’re putting into your body, and always in moderation. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
1 1/2 lbs 80% Ground Beef
1/2 cup Chopped Sweet Onion
1 can Black Beans-Drained (I use low sodium)
3cloves Garlic (minced)
1/2 cup Cilantro
1/4 cup Parsley
1 tbsp. Seasoning Blend
3 tbsp. Sofrito
1/4 c diced Yellow Onion
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 cup Fat Free Sour Cream (I prefer Breakstone)
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
1/4 tsp Paprika
1 Hass Avocado
Lime Juice (Real or Organic)
Salt and Pepper
Shredded Cheese of Choice
Tostada Shells (Corn, Gluten Free)
- Massage Sofrito and Seasoning Blend into Ground Beef. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Saute Onions and Garlic until opaque and fragrant.
- Add meat and brown. Drain grease.
- Place Black Beans and all their ingredients in food processor or blender (if you do not have either, simply pulverize with meat tenderizer, chop ingredients separately, and add all together.)
- Microwave Black Bean mixture for 2-3 minutes or until hot, stirring halfway through.
- Chop Sour Cream Herbs and Mince Garlic. Whisk Paprika, and other herb ingredients with fork into Sour Cream.
- Slice Scallions.
- Slice Avocados. Squirt with Lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Shred Cheese.
- Build Tostada: Shell, Beans, Cheese, Meat, Sour Cream, Avocados, Scallions.