Many of my recipes are fresh and made from scratch, but they (admittedly) also take some time. After you’ve made a delicious meal, you don’t always want to make a “fresh” dessert. This dessert isn’t one that is made from scratch, but that doesn’t take away from its deliciousness (and it also happens to be one of my husband’s favorites!) Now there are several variations:
Fresh Fruit: Peaches, Mangoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries may be cleaned and put into recipe without cooking; however, if you plan on putting in a harder fruit such as Apples, Pears, etc. you will need to caramelize them on the stovetop first. This method can be achieved with brown sugar and margarine (or butter.) Simply add a few tablespoons of brown sugar to your sliced fruit, toss in a bowl, melt butter in pan, add fruit, and cook on medium heat, sautéing until fruit is softened and lightly browned.
Frozen Fruit: Run fruit under cool-room temperature water until fruit is defrosted. Do not put frozen fruit directly into oven, as they will add too much water into recipe, and will not cook properly.
Canned Fruit: This is an option, and though the easiest, not my favorite. There is usually a higher sugar content, and more preservatives. This effects the taste of the final dessert, but if in a time crunch, may be your easiest option. ***Always make sure you drain the juice/syrup from the fruit if you are using canned fruit for this recipe!
1 cup GLUTEN-FREE Bisquick™ mix
1 cup Milk (I use lactose-free)
1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/2 cup Margarine/Dairy-free Spread, melted
1 cup Sugar
3 cups Fresh Fruit of Choice or (1) 29oz can Drained
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place Margarine/Butter in ungreased 8×8 square baking dish, and place in oven until melted.
- Whisk together Bisquik mix, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg in a separate bowl.
- Stir in Milk into Bisquik mixture.
- Stir together Bisquik mixture into Butter/Margarine in 8×8 dish.
- Drain Peaches. Stir together 1 cup sugar and peaches; spoon over batter.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool 10-20 minutes. Serve with Whipped “Cream” (Truwhip,) or Ice Cream. Cover leftovers.
*** 1 box of Gluten-free Bisquik makes 2-3 cobblers.